The Institute for CyberScience invites our co-hires to nominate researchers who are at the forefront of their fields to come to Penn State as ICS Distinguished Visiting Researchers.
How it Works
If your nominee is selected, ICS will support your bringing that researcher to Penn State for up to four days. You can plan for your distinguished visitor to give a talk, visit your lab, meet with other faculty and students, offer a workshop, and more. ICS will provide up to $3000 to cover travel-related costs (including airfare, hotel, and meals).
We are now accepting nominations for the Spring 2018 program. We hope you’ll take advantage of this opportunity to develop a relationship with a potential collaborator or new mentor.
This call for nominations closes on October 30, 2017.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the amount of the award?
Up to $3,000 for each visiting researcher, to cover travel, lodging, and per diem.
Who arranges for the visitor’s travel?
Travel may be booked by your department, or by the visitor. ICS will reimburse for travel costs up to $3,000. Contact Lesley Shaffer, ICS business manager, for details at email@example.com. (Please note that ICS will not make travel arrangements.)
How long should the visit to Penn State be?
You may plan for your visitor to be here for 2 to 4 days.
What will my visitor do while he or she is here?
ICS expects that the visitor will give a talk as part of your regular departmental seminar. Please contact the person in your department who coordinates your seminars to set this up.
You have a great deal of flexibility as to the rest of the visit.
- You’ll want to take advantage of the opportunity for one-on-one conversations with your visitor
- Your visitor might teach a class, offer a workshop, or give a talk or seminar that is open to the entire Penn State/State College community, not just your department
- You may want to offer other Penn faculty and students the chance to meet individually with the visitor. If so, please contact Cynthia Berger (firstname.lastname@example.org). We can set up an online calendar/sign-up system for you
Will my visitor receive an honorarium?
An honorarium is not a routine component of the award. If your visitor requests an honorarium, please contact us and we will review the request. The amount of an honorarium offered to a visitor is limited by Penn State policy. Please note that if an honorarium is granted, your visitor must complete a University Scholar Agreement, available at https://guru.psu.edu/forms/university-scholar-agreement-form.pdf
Will ICS publicize the visit?
Yes! ICS will
- issue a news release
- post information on the ICS website
- collaborate with your department to publicize the seminar(s) offered by your visitor
- Work with Penn State Strategic Communications to identify other possible opportunities for publicity
To this end, please connect Cynthia Berger (email@example.com) with the person in your department who organizes your seminars.
Other questions? Contact:
Help us build the future. Contact ICS at Penn State.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: ICS-ACI Support (i-ASK Center): 814-865-4275 | General Inquiries: 814-867-1467
- Nov 7, 201711:00 am - 5:00 pm
XSEDE HPC Workshop: GPU Programming Using OpenACC
OpenACC is the accepted standard using compiler directives t…More Info
- Nov 6, 201710:00 am - 3:00 pm
NIIMBL Teaming Event with Celgene
Celgene, a biotechnology company, invites researchers to a m…More Info
- Nov 8, 20178:30 am - 4:30 pm
Amazon Web Services Research Immersion Day
Come and learn how to do science on the cloud! From scaling …More Info
- Nov 9, 20171:30 pm - 2:30 pm
SIRO Proposal Development Workshop: Perspectives on Graduate Education
Dean Evasius, Director, NSF Division of Graduate Education, …More Info
- Nov 2, 201712:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Introduction to Data Science with R Workshop 8: Managing Multiple Datasets
In this workshop, we will begin to synthesize what we have l…More Info
- Nov 10, 20172:00 pm - 3:00 pm
SIRO Proposal Development Workshop: NSF Research Traineeship Program-Limited Submission Opportunity
The NSF Research Traineeship (NRT) program (NSF 18-507) is d…More Info
- Nov 14, 20179:00 am - 5:00 pm
GIS Day 2017
Penn State GIS Day strives to bring together those who are w…More Info
- Nov 9, 201712:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Introduction to Data Science with R: Working with Text Data in R
In this workshop, we will cover the basics of manipulating a…More Info
- Nov 14, 20175:00 pm
Paul Hawken, “Drawdown, the Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming”
Environmentalist and entrepreneur Paul Hawken will be the ke…More Info
- Nov 16, 20172:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Ari Fertig of “The Conversation”
Penn State will host editor Ari Fertig from the academic med…More Info
- Nov 17, 20174:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Stochastic Computations Working Group: “Parameter estimation using linear response statistics: Theory and numerical scheme”
Join ICS Associate John Harlim and Xiantao Li for their bi-w…More Info