To transition Lion-GA users to the new ICS-ACI system, ICS has created a migration plan. Read on for details about the plan, information about the transition process, and key dates.
- The Lion-GA system will be shut off on December 21, 2017.
- Lion-GA compute users will be transitioned to the ICS-ACI Open Queue. More details on the ICS-ACI Open Queue can be found at https://ics.psu.edu/advanced-cyberinfrastructure/access-models/open-queue.
- Unlike the Lion-GA system, the Open Queue does not contain any GPU compute cores. If the Open Queue will not meet your needs, please contact ICS at firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information about obtaining a GReaT allocation.
- If a Lion-GA PI had a Group1/2 storage allocation, they will receive a Try-ACI active storage allocation that lasts until October 31, 2018. The size of the new allocation will be equal to the PI’s Group1/2 storage, rounded up to the closest 5 TB block (ICS-ACI storage is allocated in 5 TB blocks).
- Lion-GA users who also use other legacy resources will have all of their resources transitioned at once.
Transition Process Steps
1. Submit Intake Form
PIs will fill out an intake form and submit it to ICS by September 29. The purpose of the intake form is to gather information about your usage of Lion-GA, such as when you are available to transition, the members/collaborators of your PI group, whether you possess controlled data like dbGAP, and what software packages your group requires. Please fill out the entire form before submitting.
2. Request and Activate Accounts
All users transitioning to ICS-ACI will need a new account to use the system. Learn more about requesting accounts here. When you submit your request, ICS staff will create and activate a new account for you. Users need to have active accounts prior to onboarding, so please request an account now.
3. Sign SLA (if applicable)
PIs with Group1/2 storage will sign a Service-Level Agreement (SLA) for a Try-ACI active storage allocation that will last until October 31, 2018. The size of the new allocation will be equal to the PI’s Group1/2 storage, rounded up to the closest 5 TB block (ICS-ACI storage is allocated in 5 TB blocks). PIs requiring additional compute and storage resources will work with ICS on a GReaT access model allocation.
4. Transfer Storage (if applicable)
ICS will transfer the PI’s Group storage directory to ICS-ACI using the rsync tool. Users are responsible for transferring any Home, Work, and Scratch files that you wish to keep. ICS will not transfer files in your Home, Work, and Scratch directories. If you require assistance in transferring files from your Home, Work, or Scratch directory, please submit a ticket to the ICS i-ASK Center.
To speed the movement of your data, please consider
- including only files that you need to be transferred on your Group Directory when ICS transfers your data;
- organizing your files into separate directories; and
- compressing many files into a single .tar or.zip archive
5. Onboard to ICS-ACI
ICS will work with the PI groups to get them up and running on ICS-ACI. This includes
- several general onboarding sessions to orient new ICS-ACI users to the system;
- assistance with software compilation not included on the central software stack;
- “smoke-testing” codes for operation on ICS-ACI.
NOTE: Onboarding sessions will cover essential tasks such as logging in to ICS-ACI, accessing your storage, and submitting jobs to the Open Queue or an allocation. Users are strongly encouraged to attend these onboarding sessions.
6. System Shut-off
Access to the Lion-GA system will be shutoff either from formal request from the PI or designated representative, or upon the designated system shutoff date.
Sept. 13: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Sept. 19: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Sept. 22: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Sept. 29: Intake forms are to be completed and submitted to ICS by this date.
Oct. 4: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Oct. 9: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Oct. 17: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Oct. 26: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Nov. 1: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Nov. 6: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Nov. 14: Onboarding session/Open Queue Boot Camp
Dec. 21: Lion-GA system shut off
If you have any questions regarding the transition, please contact Derek Leydig at email@example.com.
Help us build the future. Contact ICS at Penn State.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: ICS-ACI Support (i-ASK Center): 814-865-4275 | General Inquiries: 814-867-1467
- Nov 7, 201711:00 am - 5:00 pm
XSEDE HPC Workshop: GPU Programming Using OpenACC
OpenACC is the accepted standard using compiler directives t…More Info
- Nov 6, 201710:00 am - 3:00 pm
NIIMBL Teaming Event with Celgene
Celgene, a biotechnology company, invites researchers to a m…More Info
- Nov 8, 20178:30 am - 4:30 pm
Amazon Web Services Research Immersion Day
Come and learn how to do science on the cloud! From scaling …More Info
- Nov 9, 20171:30 pm - 2:30 pm
SIRO Proposal Development Workshop: Perspectives on Graduate Education
Dean Evasius, Director, NSF Division of Graduate Education, …More Info
- Nov 2, 201712:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Introduction to Data Science with R Workshop 8: Managing Multiple Datasets
In this workshop, we will begin to synthesize what we have l…More Info
- Nov 10, 20172:00 pm - 3:00 pm
SIRO Proposal Development Workshop: NSF Research Traineeship Program-Limited Submission Opportunity
The NSF Research Traineeship (NRT) program (NSF 18-507) is d…More Info
- Nov 14, 20179:00 am - 5:00 pm
GIS Day 2017
Penn State GIS Day strives to bring together those who are w…More Info
- Nov 9, 201712:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Introduction to Data Science with R: Working with Text Data in R
In this workshop, we will cover the basics of manipulating a…More Info
- Nov 14, 20175:00 pm
Paul Hawken, “Drawdown, the Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming”
Environmentalist and entrepreneur Paul Hawken will be the ke…More Info
- Nov 16, 20172:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Ari Fertig of “The Conversation”
Penn State will host editor Ari Fertig from the academic med…More Info
- Nov 17, 20174:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Stochastic Computations Working Group: “Parameter estimation using linear response statistics: Theory and numerical scheme”
Join ICS Associate John Harlim and Xiantao Li for their bi-w…More Info