ICS is decommissioning our “Legacy” systems (Lion-XF, Lion-XG, Lion-XV, Lion-LSP, Lion-GA, Hammer, and BioSTAR). We’ve put together these resources to help you prepare for the transition onto the new ICS-ACI systems.
- View a recorded information session. We’ll walk you through the steps of the transition process
- Download the PowerPoint presentation and follow along with the recording
- Fill out our Intake Form. We’ll need this information to guide you through the transition
- Consult our FAQ, below.
Transition Intake Form
To ensure your smooth transition to the new ICS-ACI systems, we need some information on how you currently use the Legacy systems. Please fill out this INTAKE FORM so we can assist you effectively.
Intake forms are also available as a PDF document. Please send your form to ICS at your earliest convenience. You can
- Scan the document and email to Robie Aikens at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- Print and mail to the following address: Robie Aikens, 224B Computer Building, University Park, PA 16802
A: Decommissioning is needed because the ICS Legacy systems have begun to pose significant problems as they age. We are fast approaching maximum power capacity in the Tower Road Data Center, and because the Legacy systems are less power-efficient than new ICS-ACI systems relative to the compute they provide, they make an outsized contribution to the power limitation problem. They also hamper our ability to meet University-wide energy consumption targets.
The Legacy systems have also become increasingly difficult to maintain. Most of the equipment is well over 5 years old, out of warranty,and becoming unreliable, requiring substantial investments of funds and staff time to keep it functional.
A: Allocations on the new ICS-ACI will have a guaranteed start time (See our GReaT access model): all jobs you submit will begin within one hour. The new systems also offer multiple compute and storage options, plus the ability to divide your compute and storage allocations into multiple sub-allocations.
A: You should have already received an email with this information. If you did not receive this email, or believe you received incorrect information, please contact Derek Leydig (email@example.com).
A: Please contact Derek Leydig at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A: Contact Robie Aikens at email@example.com for the latest information on the transition schedule.
A: ICS-ACI staff and graduate assistants (GAs) will assist you with your transition. One GA will be designated as your liaison and will contact you to guide you through the process.
A: Your liaison can assist you with:
- Getting your ICS-ACI allocation up and running
- Transitioning any group storage files
- Setting up accounts for you and your group members
- Installing any software necessary in your group folder
- Performing initial testing of your codes, and
- Providing support for issues until you are fully transitioned to ICS-ACI
A: You will have access to both systems, and there will be no change to your Legacy systems. Please note that we will move group storage files only once. If you decide to continue using the Legacy systems after that move, you or your group will be responsible for transitioning any additional files placed in your Legacy group storage.
A: ICS will transfer the PI's Group storage directory to ICS-ACI using the rsync tool. Users are responsible for transferring any Home, Work, and Scratch files that you wish to keep. ICS will not transfer files in your Home, Work, or Scratch directories. If you require assistance in transferring files from your Home, Work, or Scratch directory, please submit a ticket to the ICS i-ASK Center.
A: Legacy systems BioSTAR and Lion-XF will be shut off on Oct. 31, 2017. Lion-XG, Lion-GA, Anvil, and Hammer will be shut off on Dec. 21, 2017. We will send system-specific notifications leading up to the system shut-off date and a final confirmation when the system is no longer accessible.
A: Please see https://ics.psu.edu/advanced-cyberinfrastructure/accounts/ for more details on requesting an ICS-ACI account.
Help us build the future. Contact ICS at Penn State.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: ICS-ACI Support (i-ASK Center): 814-865-4275 | General Inquiries: 814-867-1467
- Feb 7, 2018 - Feb 8, 201811:00 am - 5:00 pm
XSEDE HPC Monthly Workshop Series: Big Data
XSEDE, along with the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center, is p…More Info
- Feb 7, 20181:30 pm - 3:00 pm
Understanding the Language-Learning Brain through Computational Methods
How does the brain respond to language-learning experiences?…More Info
- Feb 27, 20188:30 am - 2:00 pm
Interdisciplinary Security Research Workshop
The Penn State Center for Security Research and Education pr…More Info
- Feb 8, 20184:00 pm - 5:15 pm
International Law Under President Trump: A One-Year Assessment
John Bellinger, partner at Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer …More Info
- Feb 9, 20184:00 pm
Jacob Chakareski, “Drone IoT Networks for Virtual Human Teleportation”
Jacob Chakareski, assistant professor of electrical and comp…More Info
- Feb 12, 20181:30 pm - 2:30 pm
SoDa Introduction to Data Science with R Workshop Series
This workshop series will help you develop the skills to pro…More Info
- Feb 26, 20184:00 pm - 5:30 pm
ICS Data Visualization Workshop: Intro to Developing D3.js Projects
Want to learn how to create innovative visualizations of you…More Info
- Feb 19, 20181:30 pm - 2:30 pm
SoDA Workshop Series: Scraping Twitter
In the digital age, Twitter is becoming a platform that can …More Info