To help Hammer users move to the new ICS-ACI system, ICS has created a migration plan. Read on for details.
- Hammer will be shut off on December 21, 2017.
- Hammer compute users can transition to the ICS-ACI Interactive system ACI-i.
- If you require assistance for setting up accounts for classroom support for the Spring of 2018, please contact ICS at firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information and provide details regarding your class needs including software.
- If a Hammer PI had a Group1/2 storage allocation, they will receive a Try-ACI active storage allocation that lasts until October 31, 2018. The size of the new allocation will be equal to the PI’s Group1/2 storage, rounded up to the closest 5 TB block (ICS-ACI storage is allocated in 5 TB blocks).
- Hammer users are encouraged to sign up for an ACI account to utilize ACI-I as soon as possible to ensure continuity in their access.
HPC for Classroom Use
Because of the transition, Hammer will not be available for classroom support. To use ACI-i with your class, please submit a ticket to the i-ASK center with the following information:
- What class you need support for
- The number of students – NOTE: each student will need to request an ICS-ACI account
- Class dates and times
- Software you will be using
- Whether or not you need special training
We will be forming a working group to explore further how ICS-ACI resources can be used for classroom support.
Transition Process Steps
1. Submit Intake Form
PIs should fill out an intake form and submit it to ICS if a form for your group has not yet been submitted. The intake form gathers information about your usage of Hammer, such as whether you possess controlled data like dbGAP and what software packages your group requires.
2. Request and Activate Accounts
All users transitioning to ICS-ACI will need a new ICS-ACI account to use the system. Learn more about requesting accounts here. When you submit your request, ICS staff will create and activate a new account for you. Users need to have active accounts prior to onboarding, so please request an account now.
3. Sign SLA (if applicable)
PIs with Group1/2 storage will sign a Service-Level Agreement (SLA) for a Try-ACI active storage allocation that will last until October 31, 2018. The size of the new allocation will be equal to the PI’s Group1/2 storage, rounded up to the closest 5 TB block (ICS-ACI storage is allocated in 5 TB blocks).
4. Transfer Storage (if applicable)
ICS will transfer the PI’s Group 1 and Group 2 storage directory to ICS-ACI using the rsync tool. Users are responsible for transferring any Home, Work, and Scratch files that you wish to keep. ICS will not transfer files in your Home, Work, and Scratch directories. If you require assistance in transferring files from your Home, Work, or Scratch directory, please submit a ticket to the ICS i-ASK Center.
To speed the movement of your data, please consider:
- including only files that you need to be transferred on your Group Directory when ICS transfers your data;
- organizing your files into separate directories; and
- compressing many files into a single .tar or.zip archive
5. Onboard to ICS-ACI
Please consult the following resources as you onboard to ICS-ACI:
- Attend an Open Queue Boot Camp session. Sign up at ICS-ACI Open Queue session to register for a session.
- Review the ICS website for Training & Education resources.
- For additional support, contact the ICS i-ASK center by submitting an i-ASK ticket.
6. System Shut-off
Access to Hammer will be shut-off on Dec. 21, 2017.
If you have any questions regarding the transition, please contact Derek Leydig at email@example.com.
Help us build the future. Contact ICS at Penn State.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone: ICS-ACI Support (i-ASK Center): 814-865-4275 | General Inquiries: 814-867-1467